I bought a Panasonic GX1 as I mentioned before.
Although I received it a little while ago, I could not use because they could not ship the battery from Japan. So, I purchased battery locally and finally started using it.
First of all….it is amazingly compact. With the set with 14-42mm Lens, still I could carry in my pocket of my jacket.
I had a trip to the United States last week and was the first test shot for me. Within the 5 days, I shoot about 2000.
So now, it is time to report.
- Compact….but it does not feel cheap. There is moderate feel of a material.
- Fast & accurate Auto Focus. It is enough for moving objects too.
- Power zoom is quick and easy to use.
- Image Stabilizer works way better than my previous Leica Digilux 3.
- Quality of images reminds me Leica images….well….they learned a lot from Leica when they started still cameras.
- Integrated Flash can handle bounce lighting.
- has better user interface compare to other competitor like SONY or OLYMPUS.
- It is handy to be able to move focus frame on touch screen.
- Touch AF/ Release is new style and will be a standard soon.
- Program AE is not my cap of tea. The aperture goes too small. Due to the small sensor of micro 4/3, I don’t want to use more than F8….so, I have to shift to aperture priority very often.
- Quality of High ISO range is not as good as what I was expecting. It looks like oil painting or something even at ISO400 due to the noise reduction. Now, I set up the noise reduction to the weakest.
- Buffer capacity is quite poor. When I shoot with Ray & JPEG, Sometimes it freeze up after a few shots.
- When I try to review the image, It takes 3 sec. or so to display the captured image although I am using 32G, class10 card.
- Zoom switch & Focus switch are looking similar and easy to mix up. They should make both different shape.
- Stroke of Zoom switch is too little. Although it has variable speed control which is depending on the position of switch knob, it is hard to use.
- Minimum ISO160 is a bit too high. I want ISO50 or it is also good idea to have something like “Electronic ND filter” or something.
- Since I bought it from Japan, I can’t change the language……
- 37mm filter for this lens is abnormal size. So, I used step-up ring 37-52mm to use 52mm filter which is common to share with other lens.
- Battery can handle about 250 shots. If you are heavy user, you will definitely need spare battery.
Although there are quite a few negatives, I am still amazed with the technology advancement during the past 5 years.
It can take photos a bit like LEICA Digilux 3 with better quality and much easier operation with smaller body…..that is how this camera is…..